Monday, January 5, 2009

In a Jam

Last night I made my second batch of raspberry jam for the season. This is the easiest jam to make because raspberries have so much natural pectin, and one of the nicest because of its riotous pink colour and sweet yet tart flavour.

I weighed equal quantities of fruit and sugar and while the sugar warmed on the rack above the woodstove, I cooked the berries on low heat for several minutes, mashing them and pouring in some water so they didn’t stick.

I added the weighed sugar to the berries, stirring well to ensure it was completely absorbed and then moved the pot to the hottest hotplate where I boiled it furiously for about three minutes.

I tested to see if it was ready by putting a small dob on a saucer that I’d had in the freezer. But raspberry jam sets quickly so I didn’t fret too much over testing. Oh, and I skimmed the froth off too.

The hardest part of making this jam is keeping birds and people away from the fruit. And it's best served spread on a slice of freshly baked bread. Yummo!

1 comment: