Sunday, April 19, 2009

One potato, two

When I get back to Mole Creek the first thing I do after I've kissed Farmdoc and dumped my backpack is to check out what's growing on the farm.

When we built this house an important requirement for me was a herb garden right outside the kitchen; now all day I'm in and out of the kitchen door, tipping water, tea leaves or coffee grounds onto the herbs, or cutting fragrant leaves for vases or cooking. Because everything here has to be fenced off to protect it from wallabies, possums and wombats, the herbs have their own little house inside which they grow like crazy and need to be constantly pruned.


Yesterday I picked lemon balm for the house. It makes a delicious tea but I love the look of it too.

Second stop was the vegetable garden inside its own enclosure at the side of the house. I pushed open the gate, carrying secateurs and a container and wondering what would be ripe. Yesterday afternoon I dug up a bed of potatoes. We grow mostly Dutch Creams, which are delicious boiled, roasted, baked or mashed.

Last night we ate sweet corn and mashed potato sprinkled with chives for dinner. Ahh, home sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment